Economic Development Manager
The Economic Development Corporation Michigan City (EDCMC) s seeking a visionary and thought leader, solution-oriented, and results-driven person with a passion for public service as it new Economic Development Manager to join our team.
Michigan City IN is tucked on the southern tip of Lake Michigan and home to the nation’s newest national park, Indiana Dunes National Park, Michigan City continues to forge forward in creating jobs and capital investments while enhancing its small-town appeal through quality of life projects. Enjoying proximity to Chicago 60 miles NW via train or car, the community has seen over $1.5 billion in capital investment in the past 10 years. That trend will continue with the $420 million Double Track project that will shorten the transit time to Downtown Chicago from 90 minutes to 60 minutes. Several multi-million mixed-use projects are under discussion, industrial activity remain robust, and the focus will be on workforce housing and building the workforce pipeline to maintain our economic growth.
Examples of Duties
The Economic Development Manager works closely with the Executive Director and plans, organizes and implements economic and workforce development functions from conception to conclusion: including but not limited to business attraction, business retention and competitive business incentive programs; Business research planning, organizational capacity and development.
Performs variety of high-level business, administrative, professional, and technical processes. Implements economic and workforce development strategic goals and objectives for the City; Interfaces and coordinates with development communities, local businesses, various City departments and staff to advance the City’s overall strategic plan.
- Assist Executive Direct in managing responsibilities for all services and activities for the economic and workforce development agency including but not limited to attracting increased capital investments, expanding and diversifying of agency’s
- Establishes and maintains strategic private and public partnership for positive long- and short-term economic goals; Implements EDCMC/Michigan City’s strategic economic development
- Manages Urban Enterprise Zone program.
- Promotes a coordinated business expansion and retention campaign; Assists with planning, organizing, coordinating, and evaluating major economic development events and within the City; Assists with the development of strategies that maintains and enhances long-term economic
- Coordinates and monitors all economic development programs with contractors, property owners, and other interested groups; Solicits potential development to the City;
- Generates and nurtures professional working relationships with private developers, realtors, business leaders, banking and financial leaders, professional economic development and trade associations, state and local government leaders, economic development professionals and other community
- Manages and/or assists in the grant application process for potential funding sources for economic development
- Analyzes economic and workforce cases relative to business attraction and expansion; Negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues; Monitors program performance and provides reports to the Executive Director or
- Assist in the development and implementation of economic and workforce development change through attraction, expansion, retention, and various needed
- Manage all digital content creation, measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns, experience developing all types of digital creative/ social media, including videos.
- Represents the agency at appropriate civic, cultural, charitable, business and community activities as well as serves on boards, commissions, committees, and organizations related to the areas that are critical to the City’s goals and
- Assist in preparing the agency public presentations and other reports.
- Ability to learn and work with existing inventory of economic development and workforce cases while leveraging business resources, available buildings and businesses in the A strong communicator; Strategic Relationship builder.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; skilled in writing and editing content with an attention to detail.
- Strong background in leadership, management, budget oversight and supervisory and Project Management experience,
- Must have demonstrated experience of successfully completing time-sensitive and/or high-profile projects through collaboration, consensus and creativity and maintain
- A goal-oriented thinker with the ability to set clear priorities among multiple tasks and stay focus on project benchmarks and
- Ability to anticipate reaction from the public, elected officials, business community, governmental agencies; manage various situations and act
- Ability to use standard office equipment and Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Publishing and CRM software
- Strong self-starting
- Comprehensive knowledge of economic, community and workforce development issues, principles, and techniques, including state and federal policies and programs, capital improvements programming, applicable regulations and regulatory devices, associated data sources and information system
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business management, marketing, communications field and some experience in economic development, business development, sales or related field OR equivalent combination of experience and training with required knowledge, skills, and Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience managing projects and people in a public, private or a nonprofit agency or company; Direct experience developing close working relationships with governmental groups at the local, state and federal level, strategic stakeholders including but not limited to: elected officials, board of directors, other businesses and community support organizations would be an
Job Type: Full-time
We offer extremely competitive benefits including funding for professional development, as well as a full suite of healthcare benefits, generous paid time-off, flexible work hours and more. Benefits:
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
Schedule: -Monday to Friday with frequent evening and weekend events.
Please send cover letter, resume to Economic Development Corporation Michigan City: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add to headline Attention Clarence Hulse –Economic Development Manager. Strictly no phone calls. Position will be open until filled with rolling interviews.